Mayan Museum of Cancun (Museo Maya de Cancún)
One of the best places to learn about Mayan civilization and archaeology, the Mayan Museum of Cancun plays host to one of the country’s most important collections of Mayan artifacts, including pieces from Palenque, Chichén Itzá, and Comalcalco. Most people visit the state-of-the-art building as part of a Cancun city tour or independently. However you visit, make sure to stop by the adjoining gardens and ruins of San Miguelito, too.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Mayan Museum of Cancun is the first museum of its kind in the city, making it a must-see for history buffs in the region.
There’s a small admission fee to enter.
Signage is available in Spanish and English.
There’s an on-site gift shop, bookstore, café, bag storage, and restrooms.
The Mayan Museum of Cancun is accessible for wheelchair users, thanks to ramps and elevators throughout.
How to Get There
The Mayan Museum of Cancun is located at the heart of Cancun’s Hotel Zone, making it easy to reach on foot from select hotels in the area. Alternatively, it’s easy to get there by taxi or bus; make sure to agree on a price before getting into taxis in the area.
When to Get There
The Mayan Museum of Cancun is typically open Tuesday through Sunday, from 9am to 6pm. Last entry is always 30 minutes prior to closing. The best time to visit is early in the morning or in the early afternoon, when the museum offers a respite from Cancun’s midday heat.
Archaeology Across Mexico
Undoubtedly the best-known, largest, and most-visited museum in Mexico is Mexico City’s National Anthropology Museum, where you can learn about the country's pre-Hispanic cultures. This vast edifice occupies a swath of Chapultepec Park and is filled with artifacts from states and civilizations across Mexico. Highlights include the Aztec Sunstone—the design of which graces the Mexican Ps. 10 coin—and a replica of Moctezuma’s feathered headdress.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Dolphin Beach (Playa Delfines)
- Cancun Hotel Zone (Avenida Kukulkan)
- Interactive Aquarium Cancun
- Mandala Beach Club
- Cancun Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Cancún)
- La Isla Shopping Village
- Ventura Park
- Cancun Underwater Museum of Art (Museo Subacuático de Arte)
- Mandala Cancun Nightclub
- Captain Hook Cancun
- Cancun Scenic Tower (Torre Escénica)
- Jolly Roger Pirate Ship
- Cenote Nohoch Nah Chich
- El Rey Archaeological Zone (Zona Arqueológica El Rey)
- Cancun Airport VIP Lounge