Palapas Park (Parque Las Palapas)
Break away from the tourism-focused Hotel Zone to get a taste of Mexican culture at Parque Las Palapas. Catch shows on the central stage, watch street performers, and explore shops and restaurants. To visit with ease, take a Cancun tour that includes the plaza: Taste-test on a guided food tour, delve into culture on a city tour, or stop by on tour that also visits the beaches, Mayan ruins, and Playa del Carmen.
Things to Know Before You Go
Parque Las Palapas attracts foodies and culture enthusiasts.
You can pick up affordable souvenirs and food.
The plaza is family-friendly and offers kid-focused activities.
The paved pathways are easy to navigate with a wheelchair or stroller.
How to Get There
Parque Las Palapas is located about six miles (10 kilometers) from the Hotel Zone just past the end of Boulevard Kukulcan on Calle 5. You can reach the park by public transportation—take the R1 bus toward downtown and get off at El Palacio. Or, visit on a tour that handles the transportation for you.
When to Get There
Parque Las Palapas is at its most lively on weekends, so to catch live music and mingle with throngs of locals, visit Friday night through Sunday. If you are going for shopping and want to avoid lines at the food carts, visit on a weekday.
What to See in Downtown Cancun
Parque Las Palapas is conveniently located close to numerous downtown attractions. While in the area, visit the popular Mercado 28 flea market where you can wind your way through a maze of handicrafts and curiosities. For another local shopping experience, head to Mercado 23. Plus, take a stroll down the pedestrian-friendly Avenida Tulum, where you can shop or visit bars and restaurants.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Cancun Christ the King Church (Iglesia de Cristo Rey)
- El Rey Archaeological Zone (Zona Arqueológica El Rey)
- Cenote Nohoch Nah Chich
- Cancun Scenic Tower (Torre Escénica)
- Jolly Roger Pirate Ship
- Captain Hook Cancun
- La Isla Shopping Village
- Interactive Aquarium Cancun
- Cancun Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Cancún)
- Mandala Cancun Nightclub
- Cancun Hotel Zone (Avenida Kukulkan)
- Cancun Underwater Museum of Art (Museo Subacuático de Arte)
- Mayan Museum of Cancun (Museo Maya de Cancún)
- Kin Ha Water Park (Balneario Kin Ha)
- Cave of the Sleeping Sharks