In addition to a precious reliquary ampule said to contain blood of the saint, the site holds important works of art, including frescoes by Domenichino and Giovanni Lanfranco in the Royal Chapel of the Treasure of San Gennaro, paintings by Perugino and Luca Giordano in the main church, and fourth-century mosaics decorating the baptistry. To fully grasp the historic and artistic importance of the Duomo di Napoli, visiting with an expert guide is recommended. Underground archaeology walking tours are an excellent way to explore the catacombs, and a combined tour of the most important churches in Naples—Gesu Nuovo, the Sansevero Chapel, and the duomo—covers the highlights of the city in one day.
Things to Know Before You Go
The underground archaeological area is open on weekdays all day, and on Sundays until 2pm.
Consider a day trip to Naples from the Amalfi Coast or Sorrento if you would rather stay somewhere quieter than the center of this bustling capital city.
The catacombs are completely accessible to visitors with limited mobility.
San Gennaro is a Catholic church, so modest attire and appropriate decorum are required to enter.
How to Get to There
The cathedral is located in the center of historic Naples on Via Duomo, and can be reached by taking the underground metro to Piazza Cavour.
When to Get There
The region of Campania, especially along the coastline, is very crowded during the summer vacation season. If visiting between June and September, expect large numbers of fellow travelers in Naples.
The Miracle of San Gennaro
The cathedral is dedicated to Naples' patron saint, San Gennaro, whose ampule of blood is shown publicly three times a year—the first Saturday in May, September 19, and December 16—for the Miracle of San Gennaro. If the blood liquefies, good fortune will reign in the city. If not, Naples is said to face tough times. (Luckily, it nearly always liquefies.)
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Centro Storico
- Pio Monte della Misericordia
- Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
- Naples Underground (Napoli Sotterranea)
- Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley)
- Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero)
- Basilica of San Domenico Maggiore (Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore)
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Naples National Archaeological Museum (Museo Archeologico Nazionale)
- Naples Piazza del Mercato
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo
- Church and Monastery of Santa Chiara (Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara)
- Gesú Nuovo Church (Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo)
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Via Toledo
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples