There’s plenty to charm along Getreidegasse (meaning Grain Lane), starting with the traditional signs hanging from every shopfront and café on ornate black-and-gold wrought iron cornices. Whether you’re coming to the city on a day trip or planning an extended stay, you’re sure to spend a few hours wandering along this picturesque area of the old town. A particular highlight is the Christmas in Salzburg store at the eastern end of the street, a treasure trove of carefully hand-blown and hand-painted eggs hung from ribbons, perfect for Christmas or Easter decorations.
The street draws thousands of visitors a year for another reason, too: Mozart’s Geburtshaus (birthplace) at number 9. The family apartment in the ochre-yellow building has been faithfully reconstructed, with memorable items such as letters, family portraits and even Mozart’s own violin and clavichord.
Things to know before you go
- The street is wheelchair accessible.
- Getreidegasse is also home to the Sound of Music World museum and the Toy Museum, or Spielzeug Museum in Austrian.
- Keep an eye out for the Marionettenfrau (puppet woman) who has been selling her wares along the street for the last 30 years.
- Stop at one of the konditorei for kaffee und kuchen – the classic Austrian combo of coffee and cake.
How to get there
Getreidegasse is in Salzburg’s old town. It’s a pedestrian-only area, accessible by foot or by bicycle, or alternatively by public bus – #21 and #22 both stop nearby.
When to get there
Getreidegasse is a narrow street and often busy with locals and visitors. Most shops, cafés and restaurants are open Monday through Saturday; some places close on Sundays. Mozart’s Geburtshaus is open every day.
Visit the Toy Museum
If you’re traveling with kids, a visit to the Spielzeug Museum is a must. From rooms containing antique toys and games like a rare toy carousel to more hands-on fun such as slides, marble tracks, kid-size cars, and a recreated old-fashioned toy shop, everyone visiting is encouraged to join in the fun.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
- Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus)
- Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Mönchsberg Lift (Mönchsbergaufzug)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Mönchsberg (Museum der Moderne am Mönchsberg)
- Salzburg Museum of Natural History (Haus der Natur)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Mozart Residence (Mozart-Wohnhaus)
- Salzburg Marionette Theater
- Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum)
- Salzburg Cathedral (Dom zu Salzburg)
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Mirabell Palace and Gardens (Schloss Mirabell und Mirabellgarten)
- Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)