Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)
In the center of Mozartplatz is a huge bronze statue of Mozart, whose prolific output made an indelible mark on the history of music. Born in Salzburg in 1756, he achieved fame in his life but not fortune, and died at the age of 35 having written over 600 pieces. Many of which, like his opera The Magic Flute and his Requiem, are still regularly performed by orchestras around the world.
Whether you’re planning a long stay in the city or visiting as part of a guided tour, a visit to the square to see Mozart’s statue is a must-do activity. Afterward, you can sit in one of the charming cafes and drink a coffee, which are often served with a piece of the city’s famous Mozartkugel chocolate.
Things to know before you go
- Mozartplatz is wheelchair-accessible.
- Salzburg’s main tourist office is located on the square.
- In winter, an ice rink is built in the square.
How to get there
Mozartplatz is located at the east end of the pedestrian Getreidegasse, Salzburg’s main shopping street. It’s best accessed by foot or by bike. Guided walking tours of Salzburg often start off in the square.
When to get there
A public place, Mozartplatz is accessible 24 hours a day. During the summer months, there are sometimes musical performances in the square, and in winter, the ice rink and Christmas market add an extra festival sparkle. The city is busiest during July and August during the Salzburg Festival, when people come from all over to attend concerts here.
Take a Walk along the Getreidegasse
Home to high-end boutiques, cafes, restaurants, and charming souvenir shops, Getreidegasse is the quintessential Salzburg experience. If you’re looking for something to eat, a coffee break, or unusual souvenirs to take home you’re sure to find it here.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Salzburg Museum
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Panorama Museum
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Salzburg Old Town (Salzburger Altstadt)
- Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum)
- Salzburg Cathedral (Dom zu Salzburg)
- Michael Haydn Museum
- St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter)
- Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Hohensalzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg)
- Salzburg Marionette Theatre (Marionettentheater)
- Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus)