Cala Gonone Acquarium (Acquario Cala Gonone)
This family-friendly aquarium contains over two dozen tanks with marine life from freshwater and saltwater ecosystems, with special attention given to Sardinian species. Kids especially enjoy visiting the resident sea tortoise and red fox and hearing the stories of their rescues. After visiting the tanks, relax in the panoramic snack bar, which boasts floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the dramatic coast, part of the Gennargentu National Park.
Things to Know Before You Go
The aquarium is a popular attraction for families visiting the Gulf of Orosei, so book tickets in advance to for hassle-free entrance.
It takes about an hour to visit the aquarium and playground.
There is a snack bar and gift shop inside the aquarium.
The entire aquarium is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
Cala Gonone is known for its pristine coastline, and a visit to the aquarium is easily paired with a day at the beach.
How to Get There
The aquarium is located in the coastal village of Cala Gonone, south of Orosei. There is no public transportation to the aquarium, so take highway 125 south from Orosei or north from Cagliari.
When to Get There
The aquarium is a favorite destination for families and is most crowded on weekends and rainy summer days. Visit in the morning or late afternoon to enjoy the outdoor playground during the cooler hours of the day. The aquarium is closed from early November to the beginning of March.
The Gulf of Orosei and Gennargentu National Park
On an island full of beautiful coastlines, this stretch of national park between Cala Gonone and Santa Maria Navarrese in southeastern Sardinia is one of the most spectacular. Most of the park—which is dotted with sea grottoes, tiny coves, and hidden beaches—is not accessible by land and must be explored by sea.
- Things to do in Alghero
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Giovanni Lilliu Centre (Centro Giovanni Lilliu)
- Casa Zapata Museum
- Su Nuraxi
- Museum of Mediterranean Weaving (Museo dell'Intreccio Mediterraneo)
- Maddalena Archipelago (Arcipelago della Maddalena)
- Lu Brandali Nuragic Complex (Complesso Nuragico di Lu Brandali)
- Tower of Longonsardo (Torre di Longonsardo)
- Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju (Necropoli di Anghelu Ruju)
- Nuraghe di Palmavera
- Molentargius - Saline Regional Park (Parco Naturale Regionale Molentargius - Saline)
- Devil's Saddle (Sella del Diavolo)
- Gulf of Cagliari (Golfo di Cagliari)
- Asinara National Park (Parco Nazionale dell'Asinara)
- Nora Archaeological Area (Area Archeologica di Nora)
- Caves of Is Zuddas (Grotte Is Zuddas)