Giovanni Lilliu Centre (Centro Giovanni Lilliu)
Before or after touring Su Nuraxi, stop by the Giovanni Lilliu Centre (Centro Giovanni Lilliu) to gain a deeper understanding of Sardinia’s Nuragic civilization and contemporary culture. Permanent exhibitions focus on Su Nuraxi, while temporary exhibits offer insight into Sardinia’s archaeology, history, art, and culture.
Book a combined ticket to Su Nuraxi, Centro Giovanni Lilliu (named for the architect who discovered the ruins), and Casa Zapata Museum in advance to breeze past the lines and explore at your own pace. Or, join a guided tour of the three attractions. If you have time, add on a visit to the Giara volcanic plateau, where Sardinia’s famed wild horses roam.
Things to Know Before You Go
With tourist information, a snack bar, and other services, Centro Giovanni Lilliu is a convenient stop before or after visiting Su Nuraxi.
The center is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Centro Giovanni Lilliu is located near Su Nuraxi and the Casa Zapata Museum in Barumini, directly north of Cagliari. Reaching Barumini via public transit is complicated—drive or join a tour that includes transportation from Cagliari.
When to Get There
Open year-round, Centro Giovanni Lilliu provides a welcome respite from the island sun during the hottest midday hours.
The only UNESCO World Heritage Site on Sardinia, Su Nuraxi is the island’s most popular archaeological attraction. The headliner is the megalithic tower dating from 1500 BC that was incorporated into a fortified compound over time. The earliest nuraghe dwellings on the site were built during the Bronze Age, but the main cluster of adjoining stone buildings is from the later Iron Age.
- Things to do in Alghero
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Casa Zapata Museum
- Su Nuraxi
- Molentargius - Saline Regional Park (Parco Naturale Regionale Molentargius - Saline)
- Devil's Saddle (Sella del Diavolo)
- Gulf of Cagliari (Golfo di Cagliari)
- Caves of Is Zuddas (Grotte Is Zuddas)
- Nora Archaeological Area (Area Archeologica di Nora)
- Cala Gonone Acquarium (Acquario Cala Gonone)
- Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju (Necropoli di Anghelu Ruju)
- Nuraghe di Palmavera
- Museum of Mediterranean Weaving (Museo dell'Intreccio Mediterraneo)
- Asinara National Park (Parco Nazionale dell'Asinara)
- Lu Brandali Nuragic Complex (Complesso Nuragico di Lu Brandali)
- Maddalena Archipelago (Arcipelago della Maddalena)
- Tower of Longonsardo (Torre di Longonsardo)