Lu Brandali Nuragic Complex (Complesso Nuragico di Lu Brandali)
As you wander around the clutch of corridor- and tholos-style huts with clay and stone floors, you’ll see a main tower and the remains of fortified walls dotted with secondary towers. Don’t miss the giants’ tomb, where dozens of skeletons have been unearthed.
Like many of Sardinia’s Nuragic sites, the ruins of Lu Brandali can be difficult to interpret, and are best seen with a guide. Some travelers like to pair a visit to Lu Brandali with a stop at the historic Longonsardo Tower in the nearby port town of Santa Teresa Gallura.
Things to Know Before You Go
Lu Brandali is a must for archaeology buffs.
The site gives free guided tours from March through October that must be reserved in advance.
Take a hat, sunblock, and plenty of water, as there’s not much shade at the site.
Due to uneven ground with no walkways, the site isn’t accessible to wheelchairs.
You’ll find restaurants, cafés, and shops in nearby Santa Teresa Gallura.
How to Get There
The Lu Brandali complex is located just outside Santa Teresa Gallura at the northern tip of Sardinia. There’s no public transit to the site, so walk about 20 minutes from town, drive, or go with a guided tour that includes transportation.
When to Get There
Temperatures in Sardinia soar in the summer months, so visit the ruins in spring or fall for milder weather. The site is open daily from March through October, and on weekday mornings the rest of the year.
Nuragic Sites in Sardinia
The island of Sardinia is scattered with megalithic sites that date from the Nuragic civilization. Besides Lu Brandali, check out Su Nuraxi near Barumini, the island’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site; Santu Antine near Torralba, one of the largest nuraghi in Sardinia; and the Nuraghe Palmavera in the province of Sassari.
- Things to do in Alghero
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Maddalena Archipelago (Arcipelago della Maddalena)
- Devil's Saddle (Sella del Diavolo)
- Casa Zapata Museum
- Museum of Mediterranean Weaving (Museo dell'Intreccio Mediterraneo)
- Molentargius - Saline Regional Park (Parco Naturale Regionale Molentargius - Saline)
- Asinara National Park (Parco Nazionale dell'Asinara)
- Cagliari National Museum of Archaeology (Museo Archeologico Nazionale)
- Lu Brandali Nuragic Complex (Complesso Nuragico di Lu Brandali)