Tower of Longonsardo (Torre di Longonsardo)
For magnificent views of Sardinia’s coast, you can’t do better than the Tower of Longonsardo in Santa Teresa Gallura. This medieval watchtower is almost 40 feet (11 meters) tall, and its crenellated heights could once only be reached via rope ladder. Book entrance tickets in advance to avoid the line, and take a peek inside the interior—once divided into three rooms topped by the vaulted ceiling—before climbing the modern stairs to take in the panorama.
Things to Know Before You Go
The tower is family-friendly, and kids enjoy climbing to the top.
The tower is not accessible to wheelchair users.
There is no covering on the rooftop observation deck, so wear a hat and sunscreen.
Spiaggia Rena Bianca is a short walk from the tower and offers a welcome beach break for kids and adults.
How to Get There
The Tower of Longonsardo (Torre di Longonsardo) is located on the Punta Falcone promontory on the coast of Santa Teresa Gallura and is an easy walk from the center of town. The town has no train station and is difficult to reach by bus, so the best way to visit is by driving or joining a guided tour that includes transportation.
When to Get There
Temperatures in Sardinia soar in the summer months, so visit the tower in early morning or late afternoon for milder temperatures and better light for photos. The tower is closed from November to February.
First Tower, Than Town
The Tower of Longonsardo was a solitary defensive watchtower for centuries, and was located far from any town or city. You can still spot the basin dug into the rock along the internal wall that was used as a rainwater cistern for garrisons stationed there. In 1802, Captain Magnon took command of the tower and solicited the king to establish a new town in the vicinity. On August 12th, 1808, the small town of Santa Teresa Gallura was founded.
- Things to do in Alghero
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Lu Brandali Nuragic Complex (Complesso Nuragico di Lu Brandali)
- Maddalena Archipelago (Arcipelago della Maddalena)
- Museum of Mediterranean Weaving (Museo dell'Intreccio Mediterraneo)
- Asinara National Park (Parco Nazionale dell'Asinara)
- Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju (Necropoli di Anghelu Ruju)
- Nuraghe di Palmavera
- Cala Gonone Acquarium (Acquario Cala Gonone)
- Giovanni Lilliu Centre (Centro Giovanni Lilliu)
- Su Nuraxi
- Casa Zapata Museum