Zagreb Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Zagreb Cathedral hovers over the city, and its spires can be seen from almost anywhere in town. As one of the city’s major sights, the cathedral is included in most sightseeing tours along with other notable landmarks such as the Stone Gate, Bloody Bridge, and Ban Jelačić Square. Cathedral highlights include its magnificent architecture, 13th-century frescoes and intricate shrines, and colorful stained glass windows.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is no admission fee to enter Zagreb Cathedral.
Modest dress is recommended, as the cathedral is a functioning religion site.
Attending daily Mass is one of the best ways to experience the cathedral.
Don’t miss the tomb of the controversial Croatian archbishop Alojzije Stepinac.
How to Get There
You’ll find the Zagreb Cathedral in the Upper Town (Gornji Grad). Trams are the simplest and most efficient way to get around the city, and several trams will get you within a 5-minute walk of the cathedral. Alternatively, take the bus or the world’s shortest cable car, the Zagreb Funicular, from Lower Town.
When to Get There
The Zagreb Cathedral can be visited year-round. A great time to visit is during Mass, which is held daily in the morning and evening with several services held on Sundays and holidays. You’re free to explore the cathedral on your own when Mass isn’t being celebrated.
The Zagreb Cathedral Organ
With over 6,000 flue pipes and 78 registers, the Zagreb Cathedral Organ is considered one of the largest and most impressive organs in the world. In addition to regular organ concerts, the cathedral celebrates an annual organ festival throughout the summer. Check the cathedral schedule to see if any recitals are scheduled during your visit.
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Dolac Market
- Lower Town (Donji Grad)
- Ban Jelacic Square (Trg Bana Jelacica)
- Zagreb 360 Observation Deck (Zagreb Eye)
- Stone Gate (Kamenita Vrata)
- Zrinjevac Park (Nikola Subic Zrinski Square)
- Museum of Broken Relationships (Muzej Prekinutih Veza)
- Croatian Museum of Naive Art (Hrvatski Muzej Naivne Umjetnosti)
- Upper Town (Gornji Grad)
- Strossmayer Promenade (Strossmayerovo Setaliste)
- St. Mark's Church (Crkva Svetog Marka)
- Lotrscak Tower
- Art Pavilion
- Croatian National Theatre (HNK Zagreb)
- King Tomislav Square (Trg Kralja Tomislava)