- Private shore excursion to Rome from Civitavecchia
- Private guide leads you around Rome on this full-day private tour
- Guided tour of Rome's most important monuments
- Skip the line entrance tickets to the Vatican Museums, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Colosseum
- Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on time return to your ship
Departure & Return
Meeting Point: if the group is lower than 7 pax, clients will meet the City Wonders representative just outside the ship. If the group has more than 7 pax, a City Wonders representative will meet at the service center of the Port of Civitavecchia Port, in Largo della Pace. Clients must use the shuttle bus service from the dock to the Largo della Pace. The shuttle will leave you right at the gate. The driver will be just beyond the gate holding a sign with the lead travellers name. Once you arrive at the Vatican Museums your guide will greet you at the car. You must present your voucher to your tour guide.
What To Expect
Inside, wander the vast complex of galleries and rooms that house the world’s largest collection of art. Your guide will introduce you to the highlights, including, of course, the Sistine Chapel, where you can gaze in wonder at Michelangelo’s famous ceiling fresco, 'The Creation of Adam.' Then visit neighboring St. Peter’s Basilica (where you’ll also skip the line) to see another famous Michelangelo piece, his 'La Pietà' sculpture, before heading out to St. Peter’s Square.
Next, you’ll be transferred into Rome’s historical center, where you have a break to buy lunch (own expense); your guide can offer recommendations about local restaurants. Then continue your exploration of the city, checking out iconic landmarks like the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon. You’ll end your tour at the Colosseum, where your skip-the-line ticket once again allows you to go directly inside without waiting in the main entrance queue. Walk along the ancient amphitheater’s main level, and learn about the gory gladiator battles and other events that make up its bloody history.
Your day tour ends with the drive back to Civitavecchia so you can catch your cruise ship.
Note: Your private guide provides commentary about Rome and its iconic sights throughout the day. If you have any special interests, such as architecture, art, culture or history, please provide this information at the time of booking so your guide can best prepare for your private tour.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Civitavecchia port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- All visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point; expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security
- Tours departing Wednesday: there is the possibility that you will be unable to include St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square. This is due to the Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica could be closed. As an alternative, you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's Rooms
- Only small bags are allowed
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY City Wonders Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- "Yes, it’s a little on the pricy side but you get what you pay for and we literally did Rome in a day!" See review